[Stoves] Extended use of TLUDs Re: [biochar] Used Tractors ...biochar on homestead

Su Ba kaufarmer at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 00:21:12 CDT 2012

Sorry for the delay in responding, but harvesting and processing took my free time recently.

My TLUD stove consists of two metal trash cans. The smaller one fits comfortably inside the larger one with a bit more than one inch separation between the two, on all sides. These cans are what we call "garbage pails" rather than the 35 gallon large trash cans. I have punched numerous holes in the bottom of both cans using a 3/8 inch spike. These holes are all over to bottoms and are about an inch apart. I lay two 12 inch long pieces of 1 inch steel pipe in the bottom of the larger can before putting the smaller can inside. This allows the air to enter more freely. For the lid of the stove, I took the larger can's metal lid and cut a 5 inch in diameter circle out of the center. I then punched a few smaller holes around this flue hole because I found that the stove did not smoke as badly at start up.

I pack the smaller can with dry wood chips that were made by my shredder. I place this can inside the larger can, which has been placed atop some bricks in order to keep it above the ground so that the air flow is not impeded. I will light the wood chips and allow it to burn until the top is burning well. I then put on the lid and place a two foot long 6 inch stove pipe over the flue hole, thus creating the chimney effect. I have a stand that holds an old barbecue grill at the top of the stove pipe. This makes an excellent platform to hold a pot near the top of the stove pipe outlet. I do not put a pot atop the stove pipe until the fire is burning well. If put on too soon, it slows the burning rate down too low, causing the stove to smoke.

This stove will burn for 40 to 50 minutes, depending upon the type of tree wood being used. Once the flame has died down, I will pour the hot char into a bucket of urine or ferment fish liquid. The stove can then be reloaded, if desired. I have four of these little stoves. I can light them as I need them, giving me longer cooking times.

Someone on the list asked if I cook inside or outside. I have an outside kitchen that I use most of the time. My indoor "normal" kitchen has a propane range that I use during times of heavy rain. I manage to avoid using propane most of the year.

Each TLUD stove lasts me about three months. Not good enough, in my opinion. I was just given some discarded propane tanks of various sizes. I plan to have a friend, who is welder, cut them up and see what we can come up with for a stove. My requirements for a stove is that it has to be easy for me to use, cost not too much, and last longer than they do now.

...Su Ba