[Stoves] Extended use of TLUDs Re: [biochar] Used Tractors ...biochar on homestead

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 00:06:21 CDT 2012

Dear Su Ba

“Each TLUD stove lasts me about three months. Not good enough, in my opinion. I was just given some discarded propane tanks of various sizes. I plan to have a friend, who is welder, cut them up and see what we can come up with for a stove. My requirements for a stove is that it has to be easy for me to use, cost not too much, and last longer than they do now.”

That was a great gift! In Mozambique old propane takes are widely used for making stoves and they last a really long time. Here is a picture at a street vendor’s place. Not what you want of course, but it shows how the tanks have been recycled into stoves. They are so cheap it is hard to compete with them. The tanks are sold for scrap value. Making a stove from new material is more expensive and usually not as durable.

Regards

Crispin in Jakarta where everyone uses LPG cylinders