[Stoves] Why TLUDs are not mass produced

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 24 08:29:49 CDT 2012

Dear Stovers (and a few friends who might find this summary interesting).

On 10/23/2012 11:38 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:
> Why do you think the Peko Pe is not in (mass) production in Uganda? Is
> it not a low cost and effective stove?

Dear Stovers,

Honestly, I do not ask Crispin or others to ask such questions, but I
thank him for this great opening.

The reply is not just about the Peko Pe, but about TLUD gasifier stoves
in general.  And the overall response is "the lack of any substantial
backing."   But here are some details.

The largest TLUD mass production thus far has been the Oorja stove in
India.  Forced air, pellet fuel, and massive expenditures by BP. 400,000
units as of a 2009 when BP pulled out and the business was re-organized
as First Energy.  I suggest Stovers see their website:
www.firstenergy.in     New design (not sure when it came to the
market).    Go to the    "About"   tab (then "Overview") on the menu.
And also see the  About/Team tab for info about Mahesh Yagnaraman.   I
met him in Delhi a few years back.   Very capable. I remember that his
background was (is) in the production of automobile parts in Pune.
Solid business connections in metal fabrication is clearly a key to
making mass produced TLUD stoves. I hope that he and First Energy are
represented at the GACC Forum in Cambodia next March, including
demonstrating the Oorja for commercial kitchens (nice product).

Another corporate push to mass production is just beginning to be
seen.   Philips has produced a natural draft TLUD stove.   (I do not
consider the Philips forced-air unit to be a TLUD.   It is a "fan-jet"
stove with enhanced turbulence like the forced air Lucia by Worldstove,
and the Ecococina from El Salvador, and now the Biolite stoves with TEG
technology, but that is a different discussion.)   Going into production
in Lesotho, I believe.   But not with the Philips name on it.

Summary thus far, big business with big money can give you mass
production when the bosses decide to do it.

There are a few other TLUDs made with "industrial quality" where mass
production would be a matter of having larger markets to keep the
machines and workers busy.

The Reed Woodgas Campstoves are "mass produced" in India and sold mainly
to recreational campers in affluent societies.   I think it has passed
5000 (maybe 10,000) units sold.

The Nurhuda stoves in Indonesia are well into the thousands and are true
TLUDs.   We just need more information.

And the Servals "Champion" TLUD is well known, but does not have yet the
financial backing or large orders to push it into "mass" production.

Oh, and in China the Daxu company had a TLUD reported to have had 25,000
made, but I believe that stopped when the heavy subsidy stopped.

NOTE:   If I have left anybody out, it is because your information has
not reached me.  If you are out there and with mass production of a TLUD
stove, let us hear from you.

All the rest are small to tiny operations.   A few thousands of units.

So why no mass production of the Peko Pe?   Do people think that Paal
Wendlebo is a wealthy man or in control of a company to pay the bills?
There is some action about Peko Pe in Zambia and maybe elsewhere.   But
I do not have sufficient information to make much of a report on it.

There is also the recently completed World Bank BEIA project for the
Mwoto TLUD stove in Uganda.   (see www.mwotostove.com ) About 2500 TLUDs
in the "Mwoto Classic" design have been produced with 100% tinsmith
labor.   The  BEIA project showed that sufficient and accepting markets
for the Mwoto stoves exist in Uganda.  Production was not able to meet
fully the demand created in this pilot study.

As an offshoot of the BEIA project, I am personally involved in a
start-up company called Awamu Biomass Energy (ABE) in Uganda, with the
"Mwoto Quad" as its first product.   (A  report of test results on the
Quad stove is available at my website:    www.drtlud.com ).    It has
the TLUD operational characteristics and dimensions of the Mwoto
Classic, but is designed for mass production via labor intensive
processes, not machine-made.  But we are just starting (following the
end of the BEIA project).   Please stay tuned, or (better yet) please
volunteer to assist.

End note:   I have great hopes that the GACC Forum in Cambodia (March
2013) will include a wonderful and the largest ever gathering of people
who are working on the TLUD micro-gasifier cookstoves.

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com