[Stoves] Why TLUDs are not mass produced

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Thu Oct 25 05:47:50 CDT 2012

See comment.

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Paal Wendelbo <paaw at online.no> wrote:

>   Dear Paul and stovers.
>
> When I started my work with the Peko Pe (PP) 20 years ago the name TLUD
> was not on the table. I called it the Multifuel Combustion System (MFCS)
> with an *energy unit* (the PP) just to put into a stove.**
>
> I am still of that opinion that TLUD is not a stove, it is a designed
> simple container which can control the combustion of the fuel and give
> household energy without smoke and soot. 2 energy units will give 2 blaze,
> 3 units will give 3 blaze or 3units togehet for big pots.  It is
> pre-adjusted for time of burning and pre adjusted for high efficiency for
> fast cooking and low efficiency for simmering. For boiling un-soaked beans
> you probably need more time, the pot stands on the stove and you can easy
> replace it, empty it for biochar, and refill it ready for use. No hopper
> and no feeder needed. For bigger pans on institutional kitchen you need
> bigger units and start with 3 units for 60 liters pan, when it start
> boiling you need only one unit for continue the boil or it will continue
> boiling from the glowing if you don’t want to take care of the biochar.
> That’s the switch 3 to one for saving fuel.
>
> That’s what your horizontal Champion TLUD-ND also can do; the vertical
> energy unit will give a lower stove and the pot close to the gowing heat,
> but is a bit secret until I find someone interested and find money to test
> it.
>
> All my energy units is designed for production by local tinsmiths, which
> have had this job for 100reds of years and they should not lose their jobs.
> Mass-production will create more unemployment, but a kind of pre-stamped
> semi product for assembling by local tinsmiths can do if more units are
> needed. There is a production going on in Zambia by a mechanical workshop
> and also by local tinsmiths.

So much depends on where one is located in determining the benefits of
mass-production.

Here in Vietnam a skilled welder received about $100 US per month. But even
at such a low wage, this welder cannot compete with  mass-production
equipment that can make thousands of parts in a day. I think that a day is
coming soon when high-quality gasifiers will be situated in many households
in Asia. Bottled gas is getting too expensive, and people to not want to go
back to burning low-grade biomass. So we must have the means to make a lot
of units at a very low cost using quality materials. Also I intend to
supply hard-to-make parts to workshops so that they can get units out the
door in an efficient manner.

Similarly when we turn to China to buy fans, we get a far better price if
we buy 10,000 fans instead of 200. This is the logic of mass production. It
makes it possible to produce quality items at a reasonable price for a
large number of people.