[Stoves] Free FUEL is rotting around you !

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 22:24:24 CDT 2012

Our State Government's Department of Forests have taken the decision to
allow people to collect the fallen leaves and to convert them into fuel
briquettes or charcoal briquettes. The leaf fall begins in October after
the end of the monsoon rains and by about November, the trees have no
leaves left on them. These dry leaves lying on the forest floor represent a
fire hazard. The Government has to spend money to remove them. If the new
scheme succeeds and people living in and near the forests find that they
can earn money by converting the leaves into briquettes, they may remove
the leaves voluntarily. We are collaborating with the Government in
teaching the beneficiaries the technology of charring and briquetting
leaves, and also in using the char briquettes as cooking fuel. The char
briquettes burn without any smoke at all, and if the beneficiaries used our
cooker, just 100 to 150 g briquettes can cook the meal of an entire family
of 5 to 6 persons.
There is also another use for the fallen leaves. Rice is first grown in a
nursery and the seedlings are transplanted into the field after about a
month. At the seedling stage, it becomes difficult to distinguish between
the seedlings of rice and those of grass. Farmers spread the dry leaves on
the area meant to be used as seedling nursery and ignite them. This
procedure burns off all the weed seeds in that plot and when one sows rice
seed into the beds, one gets seedlings without grass seedlings mixed with
them.
Yours
A.D.Karve
Yours