[Stoves] Free FUEL is rotting around you !

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 19:58:14 CDT 2012

Dear Robert,
the important minerals (e.g. N and P) are generally removed from the leaves
by the plants themselves, before shedding the leaves. The ash that is left
after charring  the leaves generally contains potassium and silica, both of
which are abundantly available in the soil (at least where I live). The
notion that plants get their nutrients from the leaves and other plant
parts is wrong. The organic matter like leaf litter serves mainly as carbon
source to the soil microbes. Most of the plants growing outside the
cultivated fields take up the minerals from the soil with the help of the
soil microbes.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--