[Stoves] Servals Wood Stove

rajan_jiby at dataone.in rajan_jiby at dataone.in
Wed Sep 12 10:50:48 CDT 2012

Dear Crispin,

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:58:01 -0400
> From: "Crispin Pemberton-Pigott" <crispinpigott at gmail.com>
> To: "Stoves" <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
> Subject: Re: [Stoves] Wood Stove Demo  -  Video
>

> The grate is similar to the Rocket Stove 'fuel shelf' but has the
> advantage
> of limiting to some extent the amount of primary air getting to the fuel.
> This is supplemented by the fact that the grate keeps the hot coals that
> inevitably fall off the end of the sticks up in the air, not letting them
> drop to the bottom of the combustion chamber.

We want the grate to burn as much charcoal as possible and in that process
keep the combustion chamber as hot as possible  -  to get an overall cleaner
combustion.

> The amount of waste charcoal produce is reduced with the grate. The
> Namibian
> Tsotso stove uses a similar approach though the grate is not removable.
>

> All Rocket-type stoves can be improved by adding this type of grate. There
> are two sources of air in these stoves: the air passing past (under) the
> far
> end of the sticks that are burning and the air that enters through the
> hole
> into which the fuel is passed. There is a balance needed to get a clean
> burn.
>

> When you have 3 sticks inserted, you are getting a reasonable burn and a
> premised flame, basically. Air enters the grate holes vertically and
> pyrolyses the fuel and the gases are burned above using secondary air that
> enters with the fuel.
>

> The point that some secondary air is passing through the grate is correct
> and it is indeed preheated by the coals burning on it. As you can see, the
> flames are not 'finished' by the time they hit the pot so there is some
> improvement that can be made in terms of height. Giving more flame space
> will increase the draft (which affects how much air enters the grate
> holes)
> so balance is needed through experimentation.

True. The flame seen has around 2 KW fire-power. This is the maximum rating
for this stove. For the average "South Indian Domestic Cooking", the average
fire-power used is around 1.5 KW. At around 1.5 KW fire-power, the flame is
slightly shorter and also looks better.

The normal LPG stoves used here have a maximum fire-power rating of around 2
KW per burner, and people do not complain.

But with a wood stove, people are likely to push in more wood to get a
higher fire-power initially ( while boiling water for cooking rice, etc. ).
Once water boils, the fire-power is immediately brought down.

The height of the stove is kept low for a particular reason. In India at
many places, ladies sit close to the ground for cooking. Here the stove has
to be essentially short in height. It is a matter of user-friendliness.

In this stove, the diameter of the "flame-concentrator hole" also decides
the fire-power.

> The interesting part was your demonstration that when you put in 5 sticks
> the stove starts to smoke even without a pot (the pot already creates
> smoke
> because the flames are touching it). Note, everyone looking at the video,
> that the fire changes from having a premixed flame to a diffusion flame
> and
> there is a change in colour as a result.
>

> This is not the fault of the extra fuel. It is cause by a lack of
> secondary
> air which is having to enter through the space where the fuel goes in, and
> now that space is partially blocked by the additional fuel. The more fuel
> you add, the more secondary air you need, and the less you get because it
> is
> progressively blocked by the fuel. The video clearly shows the two
> different
> flame types and the comment is that the 'flame changes colour'. It has
> gone
> from a whole wood burning premixed flame to a wood gasifying diffusion
> flame
> because the primary air supply is fixed and the secondary air supply has
> been reduced.
>

> Reducing the total amount of air in the chamber as also increased the
> temperature in there! This further accelerates the production of wood gas
> creating even worse combustion conditions.

True in normal conditions. Here the design of the fuelwood stand ( sheet
metal design ) helps a little bit. The fuelwood does not easily burn until
pushed nearer to the grate.

>When the pot is on, the flame has
> no chance to find oxygen around the top of the combustion chamber (which
> is
> the problem of a diffusion flame - the gases are trying to diffuse into
> the
> air and find O2). As a result the fire becomes smoky and the CO will rise
> dramatically. It is a choked fire unable to breathe. The effect is quite
> reversible as the operator shows.
>

> So the lesson is that the secondary air supply has to be maintained while
> balancing the burn rate by decreasing the primary air supply to compensate
> for the increased gas production rate.  In general, it is wise to use a
> grate (probably with fewer total holes) and a drop-down door to close as
> much air as possible entering with the fuel, then provide secondary air
> through holes inside the chamber. It is possible to get a balanced
> combustion at a range of power levels without getting high excess air in
> the
> low power condition.

This is a very important point. In a well-designed FD stove, the ratio
between primary and secondary air is comparatively well-managed. In ND
stove, it is slightly difficult.

But we feel something can be done here - as we progress. The fuelwood stand
is already height-adjustable, and probably this is the first step in this
direction. Although drop-down door is a simple idea, we do not know whether
this will be user-friendly. People are highly conscious about convenience.

Regards,

Rajan