[Stoves] Whitfield Home & Garden Biochar Pellet Stove PDF

Alex English english at kingston.net
Fri Sep 14 19:40:10 CDT 2012

Crispin,
I'm not current on grain prices but there are often low grade, semi
spoiled, contaminated, bin ends and the such that get looked at for
these purposes. At least I know a greenhouse that burns grains
opportunistically. It is, in a sense, a difficulty for the ag pellet
business having to complete with unpredictable prices and availability
of 'waste' or residue fuels setting the market floor price, but its
hardly a market at this point.

As far as partial burn economics, on paper it could work.  If we need
50% more fuel  for the same heat, at $50/tonne we now spend $75 for that
heat but we have say .2 Tonne of Char.
If it can do the work of $50(untrustworthy number alert) of potting
soil/media then your ahead. It gets a bit tricky here because we would
need to switch from mass  to the functional volume measurement.   The
devil/angel is in the logistics and specifics. How much extra capital
investment is required? Ag residue fuel chars may be to high in salts.
Do you have the scale and skill to efficiently produce and
handle/size/sort char and mix all your potting soil? Can you sell the
surplus? Can you get multiple/extra  years of use? Does it still have
value after use?
Not to mention the cutting edge cache :)

Prospecting,

Alex