[Stoves] Misconceptions about TLUD origins and operations-- was Re: biochar rocket stove

Kevin C kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Sep 18 15:36:24 CDT 2012

Dear Paul

The concept of a "Migrating Pyrolysis Front" is very interesting, but
it is not at all confined to TLUD Systems. I can operate my JXQ-10
Stratified Downdraft gasifier in a manner where it either produces
char, or where it "burns" char to produce more fuel gas. A "migrating
pyrolysis front" is a characteristic of many downdraft gasifiers. Dr.
Tom explains the phenomenon quite well, with his concept of
"Superficial Velocity." Basically, if the "Superficial Velocity" (SV)
is below a given level, then one will have a "char making stove",
while if the SV is above a given level, then one will have a "char
burning stove."

Imbert solved the problem of a "migrating pyrolysis front", in the
1920's or 30's,  simply by closing off the top of a gasifier (so that
air cannot flow down through the fuel bed), and by introducing the
necessary "reaction air" into the reaction zone, by introducing the
air at the level of the desired for the reaction zone. This technique
"anchors" the reaction zone toward the bottom of the gasifier. Below
teh "Reaction Zone", where the wood is pyrolized, is teh 'Reduction
Zone", where pyrolysis tars and products of combustion are reduced
back to a gas that is high in CO and H2, and tar levels are low enough
to permit use as "Engine Grade gas."

If one was to describe Imbert's Gasifier Design, it would be:
"A Top Fueled, Mid-Aired, Downdraft" gasifier.  Note that there is
also a "Bottom Fueled, Mid-Aired, Updraft" system...  the common
"Underfed Stoker" system.

Concerning the "Deep History" of TLUD's, rather than look to the
Romans, perhaps we can look even further back in History, to the time
of the Amazonian Terrapretians. Nobody seems to have determined how
the Amazonians made thir charcoal for Terra Preta. Given that they had
the technology to make pottery, is it possible that they simply put
their dried "jungle clearing waste" and put it in vertical pottery
cylinders, that were top lit, to provide cooking heat, and charcoal,
for biochar? One very good reason supporting this hypothesis is the
fact that it would be much easier to feed wood into teh top of a
pottery cylinder, than it would be to dig a hole in the ground, fill
it full of wood, set fire to it, cover it over with soil to partially
smother it, and then dig out the hole to recover the charcoal. With
the proven understanding of combustion they had, as is evidenced by
their ability to design, build and operate pottery kilns, it is very
likely they could have configured a Top Lit Above Ground (TLAG)
charcoal producer. They may have used it simply as a "smudge pot" to
dispel insects at night, and they may have ignited the smoke for
cooking during the day.

Best wishes,

Kevin