[Stoves] Misconceptions about TLUD origins and operations-- was Re: biochar rocket stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 16:55:17 CDT 2012

Thanks Kevin.

>The concept of a "Migrating Pyrolysis Front" is very interesting, but it is
not at all confined to TLUD Systems. I can operate my JXQ-10 Stratified
Downdraft gasifier in a manner where it either produces char, or where it
"burns" char to produce more fuel gas.

Exactly. An end-lit cross draft fire is a traditional method of burning coal
in Asia. It has a migrating pyrolysis zone that moves sideways. Then the
fire burns the char produced. So what? It is a really clean fire and can be
adopted by anyone with a boxy stove that has air entering on one end a
chimney outlet at the other.