[Stoves] FW: pot skirt efficiency estimates, scale-up

Kevin C kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Sep 18 23:26:04 CDT 2012

Dear Jed

Crispin has made sopme very good suggestions for improving on the
"stove aspects" of your still. There is nothing I can add to what
Crispin suggests.

I might be able to help with operation of the distilling aspects of
your project.

1: Is it a continuous process or a batch process?
2: What is the volume of "feed wine" that your boiler will hold?
3: What percentage of ethanol do you want in your final distillate product?
4: Do you use a simple condenser, where you simply condense all the
vapor that is boiled off, or do you use a reflux column?
5: What is the initial alcohol content of the "feed wine?"
6: How many litres per hour of "feed wine" do you wish to process?

I don't understand your separating technology. What is condensed or
cooled in the "Radiator?" What is the source and  nature of the "waste
water" that is being sent to the "Waste Water Treatment tanks?"

You would probably benefit from Thermometers at various points in the
still and condensers. You should also have valves in the water cooling
pipes, to regulate the flow rate of water from your head tank.

Am I correct in assuming that your "Radiator Assembly" cools your
condenser or reflux column water flow, to permit re-use? If so, you
could use a radiator or two (depending on how much heat you have to
dissipate) from scrapped automobiles for cooling the condenser water
for re-use.

Your pottery boiler looks great! I presume you are using it, to
minimize differences in operation from the technology presently being
employed.

Best wishes,

Kevin Chisholm

Quoting jed.building.bridges at gmail.com: