[Stoves] Purple flame

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 21:34:05 CDT 2012

Hi Alex,

I experience that if there is the right amount of secondary air the flame
above the pile is sustained during the switch from burning wood to burning
bio-char even though the bottom of the pile is not yet glowing orange.
Maybe you're right that the tar is burning later when the bottom has fully
caught fire that gives the blue flame a reddish tinge. Good idea!

Ron: Maybe we have to burn the bio-char to get above 45% thermal efficiency
which is Tier 4 in the IWA metrics? I think it's great that a TLUD can be
tuned to either save or burn the bio-char to meet the needs of the
consumer, say urban vs rural?

Best,

Dean