[Stoves] Purple flame

Frans Peeters peetersfrans at telenet.be
Mon Sep 24 03:25:20 CDT 2012

Dean

Potasium spectral colour is 440nm purple
CO blue             not verry energetic !
Hydrogen nearly invisible blue
Sodium yellow
Aluminium blue
Copper green
Strontium red
Now you can start a fire Works bussiness

Regards
Frans

Hi Stovers!

I've been noticing a shift from blue flames above the burning bio-char in a
TLUD to purple flames nearer the end of the burn when the bottom of the pile
is glowing bright orange. I suppose that the blue flame is caused by burning
CO but I wonder why the purple forms after the blue? The blue self
sustaining flame doesn't heat the water in the pot as well as the purple
flame phase although the pile of bio-char is fully ignited at that time and
may account for the more rapid rise in water temperature.

Any ideas?

Best,

Dean