[Stoves] Fabricated Burn Barrel TLUDS

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 30 09:54:33 CDT 2012

Dear Kobus and all,

Retort:   When 50/50 inner and outer amounts of fuel as Kobus has
mentioned:   the  Outer burning   XX kg yields zero biochar; Inside
retort yields  20 to 30& of XX kg, net of 10 to 15% of total fuel used.

(Note:   charcoal yields from inside a retort of greater than 25 or 30%
indicate considerable volatile matter is in the charcoal, which is not
generally considered good for the plants/soils. Beware of charcoal that
is 40+% of original fuel weight.   It will burn in a charcoal stove
probably with some limited smoke, but is not good as biochar.)

TLUD:  One batch, expect about 20% yield by weight.      Nearly double
the net weight output, and not needing double barrels, etc.

Fines are a result of size of feedstock.   If making biochar, fines are
fine (pun intended).  Or fines can be briquetted quite easily if sold to
the charcoal market.

Biggest problem I see with many attempts to make TLUD-style barrel-size
charcoal makers is the poor quality of the lid or top to allow in
secondary air that goes to the concentrator hole.   If this sentence
does not make sense to someone, then that person has not studied the
basics of TLUD operation.

Users should start with small TLUDs (like McLaughlin's "1-G Toucan" out
of tincans - plans are on the web) so that they know that the TLUD fires
CAN and should be very clean burning.    There is no reason to have
smoky TLUDs when using 200 liter barrels unless using wet fuel or not
yet adjusting the TLUD to the fuel at hand.

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com