[Stoves] The Art of Using Grass Bundles in TLUD Stoves

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 4 22:51:53 CDT 2013

Dear Julien and others,

First, Crispin is so quick that I did not have a chance to say what
would have been precisely what he wrote.  Spot on.

Second, the experiment has provided the "bookend" experience for slowing
the pyrolysis.   The "bookend" of experience for doing the pyrolysis
much faster has also been done and reported here recently.   Now Julien
and the collective "we" have a better understanding of control of the
process.

So, repeat with the same fuel packed the same way but with controllable
primary air.   Also good to be able to do a coarse adjustment of the
secondary air to prevent the gases from being too diluted.  Do not
expect an hour of gas making.   But if the grass/straw (or small reeds
as seen in the Wendelbo videos) are properly "managed" in the gasifier,
you will gradually close in on a solution.    (I did not say THE
solution, because there could be others, but you (we) only need one that
works.)

You are in new territory, and at the frontier.   Reed, Wendelbo,
Anderson, English, Larson, Mukunda, Belonio, Pemberton-Pigott, and
certainly others have also been at that frontier.   BUT, with the
possible exception of Wendelbo who used reedy grasses and not your
straw, the others did their work with different fuels.   Many of us
"experimented" with grasses and were not successful, and we accepted
success with different fuels.    But dedication can have its pay-back.
The classic example is Belonio who was shown an early TLUD and told that
it could not work with rice husks.   (The presenter should have said
"has not yet been shown to work with rice husks.)  But Alexis LOVES rice
husks, and took up the challenge, and succeeded.   And we hope that will
be your story also.

So, Julien (and others), lead on!!!!!!!   We need you and more people
like you to push the frontiers of micro-gasification.

I have said before:  "I believe that perhaps 20% of what is to be
learned about TLUD and other micro-gasification is currently known."
Maybe it is now 25%???   Certainly not 40% or more.   So much to do!

And be sure to keep us all well informed.   When appropriate, there are
websites (mine for drtlud.com and the one for Stoves) what are available
to place more substantial documents.   But for the time being, keep the
discussion going on the Stoves Listserv.

Best wishes,

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072