[Stoves] The Art of Using Grass Bundles in TLUD Stoves

Ron rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Apr 4 22:52:25 CDT 2013

Julien

   I am quite certain the problem is in your statement:

    "I put the can on top a paint-can lid which blocked off all

> primary air."

    It was not Crispin's intent that you operate that way, only that you have full control over the quantity of primary air..  In your run, "primary" air was reaching eventually all the way to the bottom by coming through the secondary air circular gap.  You were always producing CO2, not CO and H2.

   Next try the "adjustable aperture" and start with it wide open.  The straw, if it will work, will have to be neither too loose nor too tight.  The problem with too loose is a falling ember getting to the bottom - when you will again generate CO2.  Trying for a "helical" fuel bundle, again of the right density, might help on that.

   I once operated successfully with raspberry stalks (mostly with small vertical wood "twigs") - and eventually learned the right packing density.  If anyone has pyrolyzed with wheat straw successfully, this is a good time to speak up.  Maybe you'll just have to turn them into "pellets" which inherently have a better shape.

   Nat Mulcahy with his Lucia might pull this wheat straw geometry off, as he does not have a traveling pyrolysis front (or anything like an interior flame).  I disagree with how Crispin described its operation - which is not a retort. It works through downward flowing interior hot N2 and CO2 (not TLUD, but TLOD).  Using Venturi principles, those gases, now also containing pyrolysis gases, flow upward on the outside with secondary air ( not the oxygen in the fuel), getting premixed before combustion only at the top.  He needs a perfect flame "cap" at the top to pull this miracle off.

Ron