[Stoves] Alternative to charcoal

Jonathan P Gill jg45 at icloud.com
Mon Apr 8 22:29:31 CDT 2013

Crispin,

The numbers I have for wood pellets suggest around 8,000 BTUs per pound.  Charcoal is about 12,000 BTUs per pound.  From this, I get that charcoal has only about 50% more energy per pound than wood pellets.  Would not this also apply to stick wood as well?

An advantage of using local, non stick wood, biomass is that the transportation problem/cost can be substantially mitigated.  What, for example, becomes of Jatropha seed cake that is the residue after pressing out the oil?  If run through the press a second time does it become plastic like?  I have seen this with other oil seed cakes.  They can burn very well in TLUD.

Regards,

Jock