[Stoves] Alternative to charcoal

Paal Wendelbo paaw at online.no
Tue Apr 9 04:27:30 CDT 2013

Dear stovers

Wood or charcoal, the eternal discussion at the List; I don’t know if it possible to bring something new to the discussion but I will try.  My experience is from forest in Norway and Africa, not in Canada. About 200 years ago we changed from open fire to cast iron stoves for cooking and heating and 80 years ago, when I was a child some still used open fire connected to chimney for cooking and heating in the rural arias; today there is about 50% more forest in Norway than for 100 years ago caused partly by less use of wood for cooking/ heating and partly from change of grazing animals. When I was in Africa 1984 to 2000 the forest was shrinking due to charcoal production, need of building materials and need of arable land. In Zambia with a population of 13m recently they had about 2m charcoal stoves each using 2.7 kg charcoal average every day. About 15% of adult people were in one or another way involved into the charcoal business.

To produce 2,7 kg charcoal you need about 10-12 kg firewood, depending on the kiln. 10 kg of wood like pellets or woodchips into a TLUD will give 10 to 15 hours of cooking on the energy generally by charcoal cooking, left in the air around the kiln and in addition giving 2.5 kg biochar. If you change the wood from the forest with pelletized agriculture, forestry and milling waste and combustible waste from household, marked places, and industry, you save quite a lot of forest, and if the charcoal business with their decentralized infrastructure; change from charcoal to pellets and chopped waste wood, they will not lose their jobs. They will also create new jobs, which are extremely needed.

With regards Paal W