[Stoves] The Art of Using Grass Bundles in TLUD Stoves

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 20:30:49 CDT 2013

Lanny, and stovers;

Lanny has raised a very good point about fuel moisture being released
more gradually in TLUDs vs. bottom-lit, updraft gasifiers.

In my trials with wheat straw, the fuel was very dry.  If it was
moister, the results of my trials could be different.   I could have
trouble starting the gas fire in the secondary air.  On the other
hand, bottom lighting may not be a big problem for wheat straw,
because there is not much movement of air through the fuel -- that is
the main difficulty to be overcome.

Lanny is right that it would be best if I can get my straw to gasify
(smokelessly) TLUD style.  I may be able to achieve this if I can
punch many vertical air channels in the fuel bed.

I will try that when the local weather improves.

Cheers,
Julien

--
Julien Winter