[Stoves] [biochar] Efficiencies regarding wood, non-wood, and charcoal Re: Alternative to charcoal

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Apr 10 12:47:24 CDT 2013

Dear Paul
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul Anderson
  To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves
  Cc: Crispin Pemberton-Pigott ; biochar at yahoogroups.com ; Ranyee Chiang
  Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:46 AM
  Subject: [biochar] Efficiencies regarding wood, non-wood, and charcoal Re: [Stoves] Alternative to charcoal

  I posted to the list (copy below) an approach that I feel would sort out the the difficulties you encounter when a reational science based stove testing protocol is implemented. The fundamental problem comes when one attempts to "force fit" all stoves into one category. Clearly, there are fundamentally different stove types or technologies.  No less a person than Dr. Tom Reed has coined the concepts of "char producing", "char burning" tar producing" and "tar burning" (Where "tar" refers to pyrolysis gases)

  In my previous posting, I defined three fundamental categories of stoves:
  1: A "Full Combustion Biomass stove", where all fuel is intended to be burned to completion
  2: A "Partial Combustion Biomass Stove", where char or charcoal is a desired end product. (This charcoal can be subsequently used as fuel, or as biochar.)
  3: A "Charcoal Combustion Stove."

  1: Examples of a "Full Combustion Biomass Stove" would range from a 3 stone fire to a Rocket stove. The fundamental characteriestics of such stoves are:
  * They produce tar
  * They produce char
  * They burn tar
  * They burn char.

  2: The TLUD is an example of a "Partial Combustion Biomass Stove. The fundamental characteristics of such a stove are:
  * They produce tar
  * They produce char
  * They burn tar
  * They DO NOT burn char

  3: An example of a "Charcoal Combustion Stove" would be a Hibachi BBQ. The fundamental characteristics of such a stove are:
  * They DO NOT produce tar
  * They DO NOT produce char
  * They burn tar (if tar remained in the charcoal)
  * They burn char

  Clearly, the thee stove systems are fundamentally different. It is only reasonable that different test protocols be adopted to highlight the features for which each excel.

  Clear also is the fact that some "End Users" (or Customers) do not want residual charcoal, while others do indeed want a stove that produces charcoal, either for subsequent use as fuel, or for use as biochar. "End Users" who do not want residual charcoal should select a stove system from "Category 1", while "End Users" who want a stove producing residual charcoal should select a stove from "Category 2"

  A stove is fundamentally a cooking or heating device. The simple fact of the matter is that a stove producing char will require more input fuel than one that burns it to completion, all other things being equal. A "Category 1" stove is thus the best choice where the End user does not want char in the ashpit. On the other hand, where teh End User does want char as a "stove byproduct', then his best choice is a "Category 2" stove. It appears that is some locations, the economics of char production are such that it will actually pay for a ""Category 2" stove system.

  A good Testing Protocol for Category 2 stoves would be very helpful to those wishing to have a source of char. The testing Protocol would show which was the best producer of char, while still accomplishing the desired cooking or heating function.

  The good thing about science based tests is that they report the results in numbers. They present "digitized results" rather than "fuzzy wordage.".

  No one stove technology is the panacea. The "House of Stoves" has many rooms. Appropriate testing protocols will allow the Customer to choose the stove system that will best do the job he wants done.

  Would you agree that different testing Protocols should be established for the fundamentally different stove systems?

  Best wishes,

  Kevin

  Dear Crispin, Ron Larson, and Stovers with char interests,