[Stoves] Applications of TLUD heat - not for cooking and biochar and terra pretta

mtrevor mtrevor at ntamar.net
Mon Apr 15 05:27:06 CDT 2013

Dear All

I have been lurking in the background but following all with the greatest of
intereset.
Here in the Marshall Islands one of my longest desires is a better copra
drier fueled by biomass
and producing biochar as a by-product. This would also put all action at a
local producer level
as copra making is at the house hold level spread over hundred of islets on
30 some atolls spread
100's of thousands of square miles.  If the retort is fueled by coconut
shell the obvious resale of shell charcoal
is a given. However  the use of other material particularly fronds and husk
would be a real plus.
Considering a small burner of to the side for cooking would possible. Since
much copra drying is
a nigthtime activity does anyone know if producer gas has even been tried in
a gas mantle lamp?.
Atoll soil is poor nutrient wise and biochar might have good effect from
what small efforts I have done
in the past.

The truly intriguing thing is all the little glimmers that keep showing up
that indicate whole new sustainable
"Jeffersonian" models that could be built. What is scary at the same time is
the philosophy of "newer bigger better." which
seems to be diametrically opposed to terra pretta biochar and biomass fuel
type system. There are a lot of corporations world
wide with vested interests which may not be supportive at all.

We won't be here by Hawking's warning migh have merit
"Stephen Hawking, one of the world's greatest physicists and cosmologists,
is once again warning his fellow humans that our extinction is on the
horizon unless we figure out a way to live in space. Not known for
conspiracy theories, Hawking's rationale is that the Earth is far too
delicate a planet to continue to withstand the barrage of human battering.
'We must continue to go into space for humanity,' Hawking said today,
according to the Los Angeles Times. 'We won't survive another 1,000 years
without escaping our fragile planet.'"

SO GAS IS GOOD