[Stoves] Last? Alternative to Charcoal

Paul Means paul at burndesignlab.org
Fri Apr 19 19:17:30 CDT 2013

Hi Crispin,
In answer to your questions.  I assumed that the cost of transportation,
for bulk products like this will primarily be based on weight rather than
volume.  Therefore, in my analysis, the relative costs for transporting
each of the different fuels is simply the product of:

 1. the relative energy density (MJ/KG)
 multiplied by
 2. the relative haul distance.(KM/MJ) to pick up a MJ of fuel.

  Sized & dried biomass (whether pellets, crumbled wood, dried chips,
sticks, etc) has only 59% of the energy density of charcoal. On the other
hand, the relative haul distance for traditional charcoal, because the
process is so inefficient and it consequently has to be hauled from a much
wider area, is 3 times more than for sized & dried biomass.

For the "alternative to charcoal" I assume that the market for this fuel
being brought into the cities is developed on the basis of modern/new
micro-gasifier / TLUD type stoves.  It's assumed that the char is either
burned in the TLUD (a few designs are coming out with this now) or the char
is burned in a separate stove.  I have assumed that this TLUD / Char
Burning together has an overall efficiency of 40%.

- Paul