[Stoves] Last? Alternative to Charcoal

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Mon Apr 22 11:52:52 CDT 2013

Dear Stovers,

<big snip>

Crispin, I take issue with this statement. The biochar research that I have been involved with (that is, biochar from my gasifiers) has been done in three different countries, and it involved seven universities. More than 20 experiments have been carried out, and in none of these experiments did biochar have negative effects. Contrary to what you might believe, this research does stand up to close scrutiny. These people are not just reading about biochar, but they are actually doing biochar research. I know many of these researchers, and they are not engaged in deceit. They are trying to help poor farmers understand the benefits of biochar.

< big snip>

Negative effects on plants from adding biochar shows success just as much as positive effects. That because it did something that effects the growth of plants. Goal is to determine what with adding that biochar was done to that soil  (chemical or physical) under those conditions to produce that effect and use that to our advantage. If it kills the plants –great. If the plants grow twice as fast –great. If there is no change – waste of money except for carbon sequestering.

Frank

Thanks

Frank Shields

BioChar Division