[Stoves] ToolBox

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Mon Apr 22 12:59:52 CDT 2013

Dear Crispin,

Not sure where to start but I am going to suggest a very different approach
to determine efficiencies.

1) We need to eliminate variables in the Fuel  if we are ever to get
control.

2) Variables pertaining to HHV to LHV are uncontrollable as we do not know
if heat between the two (condensation) may be used in the task (if I am
understanding this correctly).

3) Moisture (and other constituents) in the fuel used when testing a stove
is controlled with a classification system of the fuels. Using such-n-such
fuel we get..

4) Guessing if something is torrefied wood or char is too great a variable
to be guessing.

5) All the testing required should be on-site and easy when following the
fuel energy.

So my suggestion is to forget all the water (moisture, HHV, LHV condensation
etc). Forget ash and everything except Carbon.

So we follow the Carbon. (nice to have hydrogen but that starts much less
than carbon energy in biomass and goes to nothing as it chars).

Efficiency is:  Carbon used / Task completed.

We need an on-site test to determine carbon in starting fuel and fuel
remaining in stove. Never done this but thinking one could squelch  left
over fuel after the first task, grind it and place a known weigh in a
container where oxygen is drawn through to get complete combustion. The
gasses drawn through 1N NaOH to collect for the CO2 calculation (titration)
or CO2 meter.

Using more elaborate testing in a lab the Carbon used could be converted to
dry fuel, received fuel, truck loads anything else.

Frank

Thanks

Frank Shields

BioChar Division