[Stoves] FW: REQUEST for complete sets of raw data of cookstove tests.

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Apr 22 13:57:01 CDT 2013

Jim and stove list:

1. I like all parts of your message below, but want to comment on this sentence:

" Meanwhile, we (EPA) will report future results per the current WBT protocol (energy in remaining char gets full credit in energy calculations), and we will also report results for the discarded-char scenario (energy in remaining char gets no credit)."

I cannot concur that the "energy in remaining char" is currently getting "full credit" (as you and I discussed in Phnom Penh). An efficiency number emerges when the energy in the char is subtracted in the denominator - but a much larger efficency number emerges when the simple ratio of char energy over input energy is added to the cookpot energy over input. I ask that the separate char/input and pot/input energy numbers be added to the WBT data output.
I also hope someone can explain what the present efficiency computation actually means - as it is so different from the simple sum of the carbon neutral and carbon negative stove efficiencies

2. I also feel that the testing for air-controlled batch stoves needs be different from those only controlling fuel supply. I am appending here a draft "memo" that follows one I found for charcoal-using stoves. I think this (39 kB) fits within the attachment rules given to us recently by list-master Andrew Heggie, but if it fails, I will re-send through Erin.

3. I will also respond to another message today from Crispin that suggests all char produced should be later consumed. This may be helpful addtionally - but the results for char only being intended for placement in soil (as above in (1)) should still be highlighted (and is not now).

Ron