[Stoves] FW: REQUEST for complete sets of raw data of cookstove tests.

Jetter, James Jetter.Jim at epa.gov
Tue Apr 23 13:37:53 CDT 2013

Ron,

It was great talking with you in Phnom Penh.

Let’s discuss a hypothetical example.  We start with a batch of biomass fuel that contains 10 MJ of (potentially available) energy.  After burning the batch of fuel in a certain stove, 2 MJ remains in unburned char, 3 MJ went into the cooking process (pot), and 5 MJ was “lost.”

Thermal efficiency is calculated per the WBT protocol as: 3 / (10 – 2) = 0.375

If the char is “discarded,” then thermal efficiency can be calculated as: 3 / 10 = 0.3

The thermal efficiency for char production can be calculated as: 2 / 10 = 0.2

I think you are proposing to add the thermal efficiencies for cooking and char production: ( 3 / 10 ) + ( 2 / 10 ) = 0.5
I’m not in favor of doing this, because, while there is a common denominator, I think the numerators are like apples and oranges – cooking (useful) energy and fuel (stored) energy.

Now let’s say the remaining char is burned in a charcoal stove with 50% efficiency, then 1 MJ goes into the cooking process and 1 MJ is “lost.”  Then we could calculate a cooking process efficiency for the system (including the char-producing stove and char-burning stove): ( 3 + 1 ) / 10 = 0.4

For char-producing stoves, we plan to report:
- Thermal efficiency per the WBT (remaining char gets full credit as unused potentially available energy)
- Thermal efficiency for the “discarded” char scenario
- Thermal efficiency for char production
I think reporting these results will provide complete information, and how others value the different efficiencies will depend on objectives (saving fuel, producing char, or a combination of both).

Best regards,
Jim