[Stoves] Stove Definition

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Apr 30 15:11:52 CDT 2013

Dear Frank

I get your point about the difficulty in getting agreement between people in a large group. However, I would suggest that a "generally agreed upon" definition of a "Stove" will help greatly in establishing "safety and for performance.stove standards". For example a wood burning "stove" that does not meet Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Standards cannot be sold in Canada or the US, in that Insurance Companies will not insure a home or business in which they are installed. If for no other reason than being able to define the stove well enough to be able to select the correct Standard, a "stove definition" is important and necessary.

These Standards for safety and performance are very helpful. They can provide excellent guidance on how to design and install stove appliances so that they do not hurt people, or lead to house fires.

The major interest in "Stoves" on the "Stove List" seems to be in "Cooking stoves in the Tropics."  However, there are places in the world where biomass fuelled space heaters are required.  What about  the following applications for biomass heating and cooking:
* Fireplace inserts
* Free standing space heating wood stoves
* Cooking ranges
* Wood heated hot water boilers

How should they fit in with the scheme of things?

best wishes,

Kevin

Best wishes,

Kevin