[Stoves] Final (?) report on stove camp

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sat Aug 3 05:53:05 CDT 2013

Dear Bernie

----- Original Message -----
From: <mueller-solartechnik at gmx.net>
To: <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2013 2:50 AM
Subject: [Stoves] Final (?) report on stove camp

> Since this is an international forum, the excessive use of lbs and °F was
> not very helpful. I'd like to ask all participants to return to kgs and °C
> again.
> Regards, Bernie Müller

# Here is the interesting and conflicting situation:
While most of the World has adopted the Metric system, most of the Members
of the Woodgas List are USA Folks, who are more comfortable with the USA
system of units. I am a Canadian, who grew up in the Imperial System, which
is somewhat different from the USA system, but even though  we converted to
Metric many years ago, I find I still "think in Imperial." I know how big
1/32" or 1/16" is, buit I have no intuitive feel for 1 millimeter, other
than it is somewhere between 1/16 and 1/32 of an inch. I do know that a 12
mm socket won't fit on a new 1/2" nut, but that I can force it onto a rusted
nut. :-) Equally, I can appreciate that you grew up in Metric, and that you
have a similar difficulty working with Imperial and USA units.

I find that http://www.onlineconversion.com/ is a vbery good site for
conversion of units from one system to another.

JOKE:
As you probably know, in the USA beer is sold in a "6-Pak". The question is:
Q: How many beer are in a "Metric 6-Pak"
A: About 43.

The derivation is as follows:
1 Metric 6-Pak = 9/5 x (US 6-Pak) + 32 = 42.8 beer :-)

Best wishes,

Kevin