[Stoves] more on ocean acidification

Erin Rasmussen erin at trmiles.com
Thu Aug 8 12:18:21 CDT 2013

Hey group,

Let's pull things back to the practical.  Animals and plants (the ocean has
lots of plants) are sensitive to small local fluxes in the ph as well as
chemicals.  If you do your maths in ocean sized quantities you miss the fact
that the local oyster lives in a local part of the water, which may change
quite a bit with human impacts of all kinds.  Oyster shells are important
measure of stress on an individual organism, and oysters are an indicator
species. They are a canary, like the coal miners used to take with them into
the mineshafts. If the canary has trouble breathing, or is dead, then the
miners will have trouble too.  Our oysters are telling us  something, if we
are smart we will pay attention to what they are saying.

Ok so let us bring this whole thing back to cook stoves.  If you work with
cookstoves long enough,  and you do a good enough job, you can see the
profound positive impacts that can happen in communities with safer stoves,
less emissions, and that don't use as much biomass or coals.   I don't know
how this may impact the global environment, but I think we can make a lot of
local environments better, and if that ripples into something larger, it
would be a good thing.  Let's get back to that good thing.

Ok - cheerleading done, let's get back to stoves now!!

List Admin,

Erin Rasmussen

TR Miles Technical Consultants Inc.    <http://www.trmiles.com/>
http://www.trmiles.com/