[Stoves] VermiChar eco-fertilizers, A DIY concept for subsistence agriculture

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 11:04:55 CDT 2013

Dear Kobus

I think you should contact an old friend, Rob Small, from Operation Hunger
who is someone with whom you might find productive cooperation.

He is knowledgeable and experience about many things to do with BOP
development, urban agriculture and so on. I have copied him above. He is in
the Cape Town area.

Rob, Kobus is one of the few guys willing to try to make a living selling
and promoting stoves. There is another guy Adrian Padt from Rocketworx in
Durban who is also a good fit.

Cecil is of course in Stutterheim. He used to raise elephant garlic but I am
not sure what is on his plots these days - ducks and emus I recall. Actually
those are on his wife's far near Bisho.  He can connect you to the old
Transkei crowd - those few who were decades ahead of their time as well.
Cecil was the head of the Transkei Appropriate Technology Unit (TATU) back
in the day. TATU demonstrated with others, much against expectations at the
time, that a Lorena stove saves a lot of fuel and reduces smoke exposure if
it is used for space heating and cooking. Cooking alone, that was a problem,
but combined it was quite good because massive stoves are good heat stores.

If you start something locally together cut me in to include New Dawn Eng in
Swaziland and Thabsile Shongwe - she runs the operation there.