[Stoves] Message SIze Limit

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 13:58:55 CDT 2013

[Default] On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 16:39:16 +0100,Steve Taylor
<steve at thetaylorfamily.org.uk> wrote:

>Can people NOT TOP POST, leaving the detritus of 100 exchanges in the
>message ?

This is my bete noir. It's not top posting but posting a message of 22
lines on top of 1242 lines of quoted digest that just wastes
bandwidth.

Even though Erin says [stoves] listserv runs on servers whose
electricity is billed from wind power sources it doesn't odds the fact
that such a post is using 55 times as much cyberspace and electricity
as it needs to disseminate the message.

This seems to have arisen on the back of un metered bandwidth
broadband packages in the developed world without thought for those
who may be interested in the discussions but pay for access either by
the MB or time.

In fact it does affect me because although I can read e-mail on a
smartphone I limit this to important contacts simply because my
package only allows 300MB/month and this list would consume too much
of that.

AJH