[Stoves] external review by competent independent authorities

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Mon Aug 12 16:49:59 CDT 2013

Dear Dean and Kevin, All,

 <http://www.cheney268.com/learning/organizers/scientificmethod.htm>
http://www.cheney268.com/learning/organizers/scientificmethod.htm

The experts will spend years of talking and then finally come up with some
procedure. It will likely not be the best one but one that got through the
maze of reviewers. What I think is important is a system is set up and, most
important, one that includes an 'on-going review and change process' as
experience, new equipment etc. demonstrates a need.   That is ISO and ASTM.
Groups that do not have on-going review of methods (I can name a few) will
quickly produce outdated meaningless results from obsolete methods. It is
not a one-time process. So there will be (must be) in place the ability to
comment and suggest future changes to procedure. No one will get what they
want but as long as we have the opportunity to make a change we can go with
it.

After we do what is required we can add other tests we personally think more
important and when enough data is gathered we can submit it for possible
replacement of the original. So keep testing in a manner that you think is
best and keep talking as to why your way is better - is how I see it and
been doing.

Based on what we learned in 4th grade (link above) the first step in testing
is to Choose a Problem and ask a question.

If one stove tests out better than another but the test was not designed to
answer -your- question - the results mean nothing. Another test must be
designed to answer your question. You then go out on your own and hope
someone will still look at your results. They will likely mean way more than
the established protocol.

Regards

Frank.

Frank Shields