[Stoves] LPG subsidy to be removed in Ecuador

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Tue Aug 13 00:49:53 CDT 2013

I have been reading that the Ecuadorian government plans on removing the
subsidy on bottled gas for residential cooking, as soon as the generators
come online at some new hydroelectric projects.

This will create considerable hardship for poor and rural households and
may result in a switch to firewood and charcoal (and possibly kerosene,
which was the primary urban cooking fuel before the gas subsidies kicked
in decades ago) on a grand scale.

Truth is, despite the ecological benefits, the subsidies are economically
unsustainable (a major portion of the budget), especially with a
state-owned refining infrastructure that is incapable of meeting demand.
There have been numerous and well publicized shortages (which has been a
great embarrassment to the current government).  Many people have already
returned to firewood cooking in rural areas.

I can't see everyone running out to buy new electric ranges, and I don't
think the new generating capacity can match a massive shift to electric
cooking.

NGO's, both foreign and domestic are frowned upon and it is very tedious
and expensive to donate anything (there is a special license required and
a not insignificant import duty on donated goods), so academic cooperation
and capitalist approaches may be the best option for getting people there
access to efficient stoves, or using their gas stoves more efficiently
(finned pots?).

There is no shortage of capable, intelligent, educated and enterprising
Ecuadorians (though many get out if they can), so, if they see the need,
they will try to fill it.  If they have access to current information and
expertise, they can do it better and perhaps more appropriately (though
that is subjective).

There is probably enough ag waste to fuel rural kitchens, but if urban
households switch to biomass, it will get really ugly, which would be a
shame for such a beautiful country.

Just a heads-up. I don't know how it will play out over time.