[Stoves] Oils etc in char is good for plants??? was Re: This Stove can Save 4 big trees and $884 every year

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 20:11:33 CDT 2013

Dear Paul,
first of all, I don't feel that much of the original fat or oil would be
left in the charred material. If any is left, it would serve as food for
the soil micro-organisms. The soil fertility is directly correlated with
the population density of  microbes in the soil. Therefore, anything that
feeds the microbes in the soil is going to enhance their numbers and
thereby enhance the soil fertility.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Paul Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu> wrote:

>  Dear readers,
>
> I am moving this topic from the Stoves Listserv to the basic Biochar
> Listserv.   Please place replies to the Biochar group.
>
> Erin, this is the first time I have heard such a statement (below).
>
> Hugh McLaughlin has a strong preference for biochars that have minimal
> tars and oils.
>
> With many types of plants and soils and chars, there are sure to be
> different results that can support either position.   What evidence is
> there, and what should be told to the novice users of biochar?
>
> Paul
>
> Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
> Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072
> Website:  www.drtlud.com
>
> On 8/13/2013 11:21 AM, Erin Rasmussen wrote:
>
>  From Paul's message:****
>
> > Other issues:  What about all those other tars and oils and vapors that
> are combustible but for which there is not sufficient Oxygen inside > the
> biomass molecules?   Are you expecting this to drain?   Or to remain inside
> the "char" that would be loaded with such "gunk"?    That > would be
> interesting char for burning, but not as biochar for soils and plants.
>
> ****
>
> Actually, a lot of plants like the extra tars and vapors to be in the
> char. Some of the most oily chars I've gotten a chance to test, have been
> the ones that plants like. So it's good to widen the pool of chars that we
> are looking at to include some of the other processes that use the energy
> from the charmaking process to do useful things.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> Erin Rasmussen****
>
> erin at trmiles.com ****

> for more Biomass Cooking Stoves,  News and Information see our web site:http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)