[Stoves] Climate Panel Cites Near Certainty on Warming

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Tue Aug 20 06:09:32 CDT 2013

The GACC talks about stoves that stretch goals which achieve significant,
measurable health *and/or* environmental goals. With regard to
environmental goals, the GACC makes a distinction between local and global.
On the local level, it cites deforestation, erosion and desertification. On
the global level, it cites black carbon and other greenhouse gases. Since
all of us agree that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, this article from the New
York Times might be of interest:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/20/science/earth/extremely-likely-that-human-activity-is-driving-climate-change-panel-finds.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130820

To those who might consider any discussion on the stove list about climate
change to be off-topic, let me ask: why do we design stoves the way we do?
Do our designs only target health goals? Or do they also target
environmental goals such as deforestation, erosion, black carbon and
greenhouse gas emissions? Take note of the "and/or" in the GACC phrase. A
stove might achieve only health goals, or a stove might achieve both health
and environmental goals. Would it not make more sense if it achieved both?
Asking such questions might be a bit controversial, but it is certainly not
off-topic. It impacts in such a central way the thought process that lies
behind stove design.

Thanks.
Paul Olivier

Thanks.