[Stoves] Climate Panel Cites Near Certainty on Warming

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Tue Aug 20 18:51:09 CDT 2013

See comments below.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 5:57 AM, Erin Rasmussen <erin at trmiles.com> wrote:

> Or in other words, we like to work on biomass cooking stoves because they
> have the potential to solve both health and environmental problems. When
> they are done well, efficient cooking stoves can be a solid asset to people
> who are working to improve the quality of life for people overall, and
> these
> include health, environmental and social factors. We used to just talk
> about
> skirt fires and pneumonia, and now we regularly talk about the health of
> the
> planet. I think that as a community we have really stepped forward and
> started meeting the technical challenges of really helping each other and
> the environment as a whole.

I really like what you say in the paragraph above.

> And now that I'm reminded of that, has anyone on the list been working on
> the problem of eliminating the black smoke from kerosene lanterns?  Tammi
> Bond challenged us to do that at ETHOS in March. She was saying that if we
> found a way to modify those cheap lanterns, and spread the fix around
> relatively quickly, we could remove a major aggravator of  health, air and
> climate problems.

A lot of progress has been made recently with respect to small solar
panels. They can power LED lamps that consume little electricity. Christa
Roth sent me an email not long ago with this link to Fosera:
http://www.fosera.com/en/overview
She mentioned that Fosera that will have a BOP device, a 1.5 W panel,
probably ready by September, with costs expected to be in the range of
15-17 USD ex factory in Thailand. Such an option makes a lot more sense
than a kerosene lantern. Here there is no dependency on non-renewable
fossil fuels that have be extracted from the earth and refined into
kerosene at a considerable inefficiency. The panel and lamp might cost more
than a kerosene lantern, but there is no on-going purchase of fuel.

Thanks.
Paul

> Thanks,
> Erin Rasmussen