[Stoves] Climate Panel Cites Near Certainty on Warming

Erin Rasmussen erin at trmiles.com
Tue Aug 20 17:57:50 CDT 2013

Or in other words, we like to work on biomass cooking stoves because they
have the potential to solve both health and environmental problems. When
they are done well, efficient cooking stoves can be a solid asset to people
who are working to improve the quality of life for people overall, and these
include health, environmental and social factors. We used to just talk about
skirt fires and pneumonia, and now we regularly talk about the health of the
planet. I think that as a community we have really stepped forward and
started meeting the technical challenges of really helping each other and
the environment as a whole.

And now that I'm reminded of that, has anyone on the list been working on
the problem of eliminating the black smoke from kerosene lanterns?  Tammi
Bond challenged us to do that at ETHOS in March. She was saying that if we
found a way to modify those cheap lanterns, and spread the fix around
relatively quickly, we could remove a major aggravator of  health, air and
climate problems.

Thanks,
Erin Rasmussen
erin @trmiles.com