[Stoves] thank you, RWL

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Aug 22 09:34:44 CDT 2013

>Q5a: Other than by pyrolysis+gasification?

>     [RWL5a':  I wold drop the word "gasification" - used in technical
circles to consume char.  All of the techniques for making any char
can/should be called >pyrolysis.   Those involving cooking are a subset of
the total.  A good recent, comprehensive (free) overview of char-making
techniques (only using the term >"pyrolysis")  is at

>https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/publications/1107017.pdf

Ron,

We don't need to redefine processes or devices.

"Gasification" is NOT used in technical circles to "consume all char".
Although the main purpose of a gasifier , including TLUD gasifiers, is to
make gas all gasifiers make char.  All of the techniques for making char
include pyrolysis in some form but all processes that can be used to make
char - pyrolysis, gasification , combustion - are not all pyrolysis.

Tom