[Stoves] Use of rebars in cookstoves

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 09:09:11 CDT 2013

[Default] On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:05:19 -0400,Jock Gill
<jg45 at icloud.com> wrote:

>Is there any thought on the minimum temperature required for a stove to be satisfactory?  It would seem that the cooler the combustion temperatures the longer the metal parts will last.  So what is the goldilocks temperature range: not too cold and not too hot?

As I said I think it is below red heat, with a thin metal stove this
can be hotter than expected if the outer wall is cooled by ambient
air, often the heat can be recycled into the combustion air rather
than lost from the stove.

>My experience suggests that even simple tin can stoves will last a long time if the temperature range is around 700 degrees C.  I have made VERY high temp ND TLUDs which showed serious metal wear and tear after every run.  The outer sides of the cans would shed thin layers of metal dust that was much like rust.  At too cool temperatures, there is creosote buildup.  I control temperature by limiting primary air and balancing out the draft in the system.

Yes this is one of the lesser talked about attributes of TLUD as long
as the pyrolysis is stopped before the front reaches the air inlet. At
that stage the char starts burning and there is a transition from the
~600C of the pyrolysis front to what becomes an natural up draught
gasifier producing CO. The char can reach 2000C if blown.

AJH