[Stoves] LPG subsidy to be removed in Ecuador

Edward Revill edrevill at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 17:29:39 CDT 2013

Hello, my name is Ed, I noticed this thread and I was wondering whether anybody is in a position to help or to advise a friend of mine.

My friend Nicola has been working with Ecuadorian peasants to try to improve their lives following serious water and ground oil pollution incidents caused by Texaco over 20 years ago.

One of Nicolas projects is to make available uncontaminated drinking water through installing roof rain water collection and filtration systems. She is currently importing charcoal for these filters.

She is also exploring bioremediation of the oil spills (in pits which are overflowing into water systems) using oyster mushrooms. I suggested that charcoal may be of use here as well.

Rather than importing charcoal for these projects, and given that the LPG subsidies are about to end, I thought that she could give biochar stoves to the Ecuadorians and teach them how to use them and collect the biochar. In return for giving her the biochar she would be able to extend work to enable clean water supplies whilst addressing the issue of the ending of the LPG subsidies.

Can anybody with experience in obtaining funding for and implementing biochar stove projects give any advice in doing so here?

I will draw Nicolas attention to any replies here or you could contact her directly through the contact page on her web site www.eyesofgaia.com

Thank you.