[Stoves] LPG subsidy to be removed in Ecuador

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Thu Aug 15 00:55:10 CDT 2013

Dr. Karve,

Thank you for your input.  My concern is that demand for biomass would
outstrip the supply of agricultural waste and suppliers would begin
behaving like the charcoal burners of pre-subsidy days.  I suppose, before
wringing my hands, I could compare the current demand of LPG against the
availability and estimated energy of ag waste, but I don't have those
figures available.  Perhaps a grad student could be convinced to do it for
a thesis or capstone project?

 From the articles, it is evident that subsidies will continue, but for
electricity, not for LPG.  That should be far less costly than current LPG
subsidies.  Also, the comments by users of the the state provided
induction hotplates indicates that there will be a need for a non-electric
backup stove in most kitchens.

Ironically, if the unregulated price of LPG soars, households that do not
qualify for the electric subsidy, may be more inclined to use a biomass
stove (assuming a lower price for biomass) than those who receive the
subsidy.

Andrew Parker