[Stoves] NY Times article on what fuel poor need.

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 20:34:19 CST 2013

Because the soap and cosmetics manufacturers need specific fatty acids,
separating fatty acids from non-edible oils and animal fats is a thriving
industry in India,  This process leaves glycerine behind. I do not know
what glycerine is used for, but if it is available at a moderate price of
about US Cents 50 per kg, one might consider it as one of the liquid fuels
Crystalline sugar is also available in India at about the same price. It
melts at a moderate temperature of about 100C. Has anybody tried it?
Yours A.D.Karve

> Project Gaia have demonstrated to me an efficient ethanol cookstove and
> also an ethanol lamp, and I have seeing here ethanol power generators in
> operation.
>
> Here in Brazil ethanol produced at farm level can be around US$ 0,50 per
> liter
>
> Rogério
>

> 2013/12/4 Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net>
>
>  Nari and list:
>>
>>   1.   I write to disagree with your conclusion on fossil fuels.   They
>> are “best” (in several senses, not including being cheaper) mainly because
>> their externality costs are borne by all of society.
>>
>>    2.  I was surprised at first to see this view attributed to the NY
>> Times.  This was the view of Bjorne Lomborg who claims not to be a climate
>> skeptic - but sure writes like one.
>>
>>    3.  I do agree that kerosene has many advantages to go with their
>> disadvantages.  A way to move to a majority of advantages is to call for
>> liquid fuels rather than fossil fuels.    These can have a biomass origin,
>> and (especially in rural areas) can also be cheaper.
>>
>> Ron
>>

>>   On Dec 4, 2013, at 6:23 PM, nari phaltan <nariphaltan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>   Hi stovers,
>>
>> A recent NYT article echoes what we have observed while working with
>> rural poor in India - they need excellent and convenient fuel for cooking
>> and lighting. Sometimes fossil fuels are the best.
>> www.nariphaltan.org/kerosene.pdf
>>
>> Here is the NYT article;
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/04/opinion/the-poor-need-cheap-fossil-fuels.html?hp&rref=opinion
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Anil
>>
>> Nimbkar Agricultural Research Institute (NARI)
>> Tambmal, Phaltan-Lonand Road
>> P.O.Box 44
>> Phaltan-415523, Maharashtra, India
>> Ph:91-2166-222396/220945/222842
>> e-mail:nariphaltan at gmail.com
>>            nariphaltan at nariphaltan.org
>>
>> http://www.nariphaltan.org

>> http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/

>> http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)