[Stoves] [SeBIG] research report on the biochar from Burt's Greenhouses in Ontario, Canada

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Dec 23 11:41:27 CST 2013

Alex  (with an expanded list of ccs;  I include “stoves”, since that is the community who first heard of your great work;  Thanks to John for the alert):

   It was good to see the name Burt’s in the following.  Somewhere there should have also been the name “English”.  I took the three papers being discussed here (two in an Appendix) as being very good news for biochar.  Three parts of the three reports (for me) need an explanation that probably only you can supply:

   a.  The char labeled “old” was clearly not as acceptable.  The size distribution and the carbon content were different.  Do you have an explanation?  How could the carbon content be so low?

   b.  I had not realized you could produce char all the way from 500 C to >700 C.  Is the former done at lower power levels (less primary air) or what?  Can you “dial in” a desired char temperature?  Over what range?

   c.  Is yours still the only known retrofit of a boiler going from combustion to pyrolysis?

Ron