[Stoves] [biochar] Pine char gasification

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 14:24:42 CST 2013

Dear Tom

I am not subscribed to the Char lists but I appreciate the copy.

I have a question:

"They point out that the mass loss with surface gasification occurs within
the smaller pores leading to pore widening."

Is this the same process that is used for clearing out the carbon from
ceramics in the 300-650 C range using CO? U understand the shuttling back
and forth was done primarily by CO at that temperature. The importance is
the time to tell people to hold the temperature steady while removing
char/carbon that is trapped inside the thicker ceramic parts. You may
remember some discussion about this with reference to making the POCA stoves
in Maputo.

Getting the carbon out is an important step before ramping to the final
temperature.

We were using crushed charcoal as a source of carbon for the creating of
pores, while not creating quasi-pores filled with sand.

Thanks
Crispin