[Stoves] ETHOS Discussion about decentalized stove efforts

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 31 17:34:45 CST 2013

Dear Paal, and all,

As much as I can agree with Paal's statements, but I think the cards are
stacked against the success of decentralized efforts.

The issue that Paal raises about the need to have decentralized
production of stoves (and fuels) is a touchy topic because the "model"
of the affluent world is for centralized industrial production.   That
centralized model is certainly a cornerstone of the GACC  and WB and
many who feel that the model of the affluent world will work to resolve
major issues in the developing world. And they control access to most of
the funding.   And they present very convincing arguments.   (If they
could not, they would not be in control of the situation.)

It would be good to have some examples of decentralized efforts having
major impacts.   Maybe the spread of the Kenyan ceramic jiko (KCJ) is
one example.

I will be at ETHOS and willing for such discussions if others step
forward wanting to discuss this informally as an ad hoc sub-group.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com