[Stoves] Characteristics of biochar was Re: [biochar] grassifier & cedar chip char

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Tue Feb 5 20:23:46 CST 2013

Bruno Glaser did a nice review of biochar properties including H/C ratio
that was discussed recently on the biochar list.

http://www.bacatec.de/dl/Ge09_Glaser-Steiner_engl.pdf

Schimmelpfennig and Glaser published a similar paper in a special edition of
the Journal of Environmental Quality.

One step forward toward characterization: some important material properties
to distinguish biochars

Abstract

Terra Preta research gave evidence for the positive influence of charred
organic material (biochar) on infertile tropical soils. Facing global
challenges such as land degradation, fossil energy decline, water shortage,
and climate change, the use of biochar as a soil amendment embedded into
regional matter cycles seems to provide an all-round solution. However,
little is known about biochar effects on individual ecosystem processes.
Besides, the term is used for a variety of charred products. Therefore, the
aim of this study was to investigate principal material properties of
different chars to establish a minimum set of analytical properties and
thresholds for biochar identification. For this purpose, chars from
different production processes (traditional charcoal stack, rotary kiln,
Pyreg reactor, wood gasifier, and hydrothermal carbonization) were analyzed
for physical and chemical properties such as surface area, black carbon,
polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and elemental composition. Our results
showed a significant influence of production processes on biochar
properties. Based on our results, to identify biochar suitable for soil
amendment and carbon sequestration, we recommend using variables with the
following thresholds: O/C ratio <0.4, H/C ratio <0.6, black carbon >15% C,
polyaromatic hydrocarbons lower than soil background values, and a surface
area >100 m g.

Schimmelpfennig, Sonja Glaser, Bruno J Environ Qual. 2012
Jul-Aug;41(4):1001-13.

 <https://www.agronomy.org/publications/jeq/abstracts/41/4/1001>
https://www.agronomy.org/publications/jeq/abstracts/41/4/1001

Tom