[Stoves] Destroying combustion chambers after TLUD pyrolysis ends Re: Need experts advise on combustion chamber

Ray Menke ray.menke at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:07:38 CST 2013

Hi Lanny,
I guess I should clarify that.  I built a copy of Paul's Champion TLUD
which uses a large six inch diameter metal coffee can for the burner.
It has the primary air tube coming in through the side, and below the
grate.  Above the grate I needed more height, and found a six inch
stove pipe with the factory installed crimps will fit into the top of
the coffee can.  I cut it with a chop saw, and usually make several at
a time.  The time consuming part of this is fitting the primary air
tube into the coffee can, so to save the coffee can from burning out,
I cut a 10 cm or 4 inch length of the six inch diameter stovepipe
(with no crimps), and fit it inside the lower portion of the coffee
can, and just above the grate.  (I open this little piece up, and trim
it so it fits inside the can with no overlap.)  This part oxidizes
because I sometimes run a small computer fan to increase the cooking
time and it does turn the thing into a little forge.  However, I can
drop a few small cubes of wood into that glowing bed of charcoal and
get some more flame (without smoke) to finish the cooking task.  I
might also mention that above the restriction, I use do use a 4"
diameter juice can that is wrapped with ceramic wool insulation and
covered with shiny aluminum foil.  Looks Space Age!  The outer lower
container is a party balloon gas tank.  I painted it with orange 500
degree F engine paint, but it has all burnt off.  (This did not happen
until I got carried away with the computer fan and 2 hour cooking
sessions.  (Normal TLUD operation without consuming the char is about
20 minutes, depending on the fuel.)

--
Ray  Menke