[Stoves] Calculating the RPM

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Feb 12 12:51:18 CST 2013

Dear Frank

1: Box shape and diameter are VERY important.  At "critical speed", for a given combination of rotational speed and container diameter, centrifugal force will hold the pellets stationary against the container wall, and there will be zero tumbling and pellet wear. A machine running at say 95% critical speed will create very little abrasion, but a machine running at say 60% of critical Speed will create a great deal of abrasion effect, because of the cascading action.

2: Do you want to turn the drum/container/box for a fixed time, OR a fixed number of revolutions?

3: One could calculate the required HP, but the simplest and least costly thing is to try the 1/3 HP motor, and if it does not overheat after say 4 consecutive tests, it is good for the job. If it does overheat, then you have proven that you need a bigger motor.

Best wishes,

Kevin