[Stoves] Calculating the RPM

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Tue Feb 12 12:30:26 CST 2013

Greetings Stovers,

Building equipment for determining the hardness of pellets and biochar I
need something to turn a 9 kg box at a speed of 60 RPM +/-  1.

I have a 1/3rd HP motor that is rated at 1725 RPM

Fitted with a 2" pulley attached to the motor and going to an 8" pulley
gives me a shaft turning 431 RPM

Then another 2" pulley going to an 8" pulley on another shaft gives me 108
RPM

I plan to adjust the 108 down to 60 using a voltage regulator.

Is this a good plan?

And is there another factor I need to include for the weight of the box I am
turning?

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields