[Stoves] Energy content cow dung

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Tue Feb 12 15:37:52 CST 2013

Dear Sarabagya,

I have ccy'd your request to our good friends, and briquette trainers' researchers, Mary and Francis Kavita who are based in Kenya. They have trained Masaai in making nice smelling, clean burring dung blend fuel briquettes ot in Masaailand a couple of years ago. ( They have also developed similar blends for elephant dung blends in same and neighboring regions in Kenya.

I also ccy it to Sanu Kaji of the Foundation for Sustainable Technologies (FoST) in Thamel /Kathmandu as he is the resident expert in briquette making there in you country (…and probably regionally as well).  Finally wanted to touch base also  with Mzee Bob out there in Northern  Masaailand,  it may also be useful to you as well in that you are looking at dung burning now. As a replacement for wood (which was probably far more obtainable when you began your work there), it made little sense to go to the trouble to making briquettes-- but now ??

I'd trust Mary and Francis skills implicitly: We trained then in 2001 and they have been all over the nation and region in fact,  training others on their own steam under their own business since that time.  We had some camel dung blends they made, tested at the Kenya Industrial Research& Development Institute (KIRDI) for a potential project up in Somaliland a couple of years ago.

All the best (ukinaweza saida huyu jamaa,  Francis, ilikua  mzuri , asante sana)

Richard Stanley(mzee pia)
www.legacyfound.org